Last May when I decided to recruit Gage, my dad, and my brother for the PC Half Marathon, I had no idea what it would be like trying to train for a half marathon while getting ready to teach school and also moving hundreds of miles across the country. Let's just say it's been a little crazy around the Arnold house the past few months. :) It's been fun though and yesterday we finally accomplished our goal of running 13.1 miles!Here we are before the race...
Running 13.1 miles was a mind over matter experience (I can't imagine doing a FULL marathon!) and it was definitely not easy for me. The course is beautiful though and the scenery made it quite enjoyable.
My mom, our loyal supporter, was at the finish line cheering us on and taking pictures. Gage and I ran the whole way together, keeping about a 10 minute mile pace. By the way, that's mostly water - not sweat - on Gage's shirt.. ha ha.
We crossed the finish line together at 2 hours, 12 minutes, and 59 seconds. The results were posted here and we were all pleased with our times and placings.
Mitchell finished in 1 hour, 52 minutes and my dad finished in 2 hours, 6 minutes.
Park City's elevation is about 4700 feet higher than Spokane - where Gage and I conducted the majority of our training - so we felt pretty good about our time! EXCUSES, excuses, right? Well, I didn't think it would be that big of a difference, but ELEVATION matters and Utah runners are TOUGH!! :) Anyway, now that it's all said and done - it was a lot of fun. Both Gage and I were NEVER runners before this. The most I had ever run was a 5K (~ 3 miles); so to do this was a pretty big challenge for both of us. It was great to be able to do it together and it's an experience we'll never forget!
18 comments:
Congrats! That is so awesome. I wish I were running a half marathon this year - I miss it. I am glad that you guys had fun - I am jealous you got your husband to do it with you. LOL. And you look way too god to have just ran 13.1 miles - whenever I run, my face is CHERRY red.
so you still look like a supermodel after running 13 miles? OK. I am kind of thinking that's not right but whatever. I think you guys are amazing. I am not a runner and can't imagine being able to run more than oh...about a block. I would love to challenge myself someday though. Maybe after the baby, LOL.
Congratulations! You all are awesome.
Congrats on finishing your 1/2 marathon. I just don't think I have the desire to ever do that. Maybe if I looked as good as you when I got done running :) Good luck with school starting this week! You'll be an awesome teacher.
congrats! that is such a huge accomplishment. I went running yesterday for the first time in a long time and I hate it! I don't think I'll ever be a long distance runner but maybe one day I'll challenge myself. :) I agree...you look WAY too good for having just ran 13 miles!
Yea Shaw and Arnold Team!!!
What a fun day. You guys are awesome.
i agree, you totally look like a super model even after running 13 miles. i am jealous! i really want to do a half marathon! and especially somewhere as beautiful as park city. some day. good luck starting school!
Congrats on the 1/2 marathon! That is seriously so awesome! What an accomplishment! Sounds like you guys have been so super busy. I hope teaching is going well.
k like everyone else said....you look great after running 13 miles, holy cow!!! i'm so impressed, that's awesome. one day i want to be do that...one day :-)
Wow! That's pretty amazing that you could do that! I'm totally not a runner, so I know I would never be able to do that! Way to go! I hope teaching is going well and you guys are getting all settled in! I bet your mom loves that you are much closer now! How fun!
wow congrats you guys are awesome! When do you start school?
Neat! You guys are freakin awesome...way to go!!
Good job guys! Your time was good as well. If was fun to see you.
Hey Chris is getting ready to send out resumes for interships for next year. I know Lee & Hayes is one that he would be really interested in doing an intership with. Do you know do they take summer interns? And who would be a good person to contact? Any information you have that would be appreciated Thanks and I hope the move has gone well and you are enjoying your new job! You can email me if it is easier rather than commenting my email is trbarrus@gmail.com
Your amazing!! :) Great time!
dumb...why on earth would you want to run for that long?....gage?...
I am going to accuse Gage of power walking the full 13 miles. He clearly is in the picture. But nice work Megan. That is impressive. Oh by the way, this is Nathan, not Polly.
Megan!
Thanks for the nice comment on my blog! It is great to hear from you. I secretly wish every time that we attend my parent's ward that you are there. It's been a long time. Congrats on your teaching job! How exciting...I hope you and Gage are liking the change from Washington to Utah. Keep in touch!
Megan,
It's about time you update your blog huh?? Don't you think?
Your mother
Post a Comment